More Reverb 10 responses...

Another unique Christmas tree at the JL-DP household

Veggies: My parents were so kind to appreciate the Mediterranean feast I prepared while home for the holidays ... Spinach, Tomato and Feta couscous, Grape Leaves, Slow-Roasted Green Beans with Garlic and Tomatoes, and Black Olive hummus.

Wine: I think we consumed more bottles of wine than we had meals this week ... is that bad?

My plans to catch up with Reverb 10 prompts in 2 days were a bit too ambitious, especially when we spent most of the past week relaxing and celebrating the holidays at my parents' house. I did keep up with the prompts in my journal, but I was enjoying spending time away from the computer, so I didn't force myself to blog. Now that I'm back to work and my usual routine, I'm back to blogging. Part two of Reverb 10 is here ...

December 1111 Things. What are 11 things your life doesn’t need in 2011? How will you go about eliminating them? How will getting rid of these 11 things change your life? (Author: Sam Davidson)

Not in any particular order:
-More “things”
-Unnecessary doubt
-Unnecessary fear
-Unnecessary anger
-Mindlessness
-Processed foods
-Comparisons
-External evaluations and expectations
-Apathy
-Repression
-Hopelessness

The big picture answer: I will eliminate these 11 things through mindful living. Obviously, I need to think about how I will be more mindful. By eliminating these 11 things, my life will be simpler, more satisfying, and more joyful.
December 12 Body Integration. This year, when did you feel the most integrated with your body? Did you have a moment where there wasn’t mind and body, but simply a cohesive YOU, alive and present?
(Author: Patrick Reynolds)


SURFING! Those few seconds when I paddled for the wave, felt the swell and popped up on my board to catch it was all about being alive and present.
December 13ActionWhen it comes to aspirations, it’s not about ideas. It’s about making ideas happen. What’s your next step? (Author: Scott Belsky)
Holy cow, Scott Belsky – I was having a fine time dreaming and reflecting on the first 12 prompts, and now you’re telling me I have to actually DO something? You, my friend, are a genius—a cold, hard, reality-driven genius. Way to wake me up!
I’ve finally accepted the fact that the ocean isn’t going to appear in Ohio any time soon, so I need to start researching 1.) What ocean(s)/beach(es) would I like to spend significant time on? and 2.) How might I arrange my life and finances to allow for more time to spend in those places?
December 14Appreciate. What’s the one thing you have come to appreciate most in the past year? How do you express gratitude for it? (Author: Victoria Klein)
That I have a choice in most areas of my life, even when I feel completely stuck in a situation. If I can’t change what’s happening, then at least I can choose my perspective or attitude. I fully acknowledge the role that my privilege, my financial status, my support systems, my education, my spouse, and my mental/emotional capabilities play in giving me this choice, and I try to contribute time, money and energy to causes/organizations that assist in giving choices to others.
December 155 Minutes. Imagine you will completely lose your memory of 2010 in five minutes. Set an alarm for five minutes and capture the things you most want to remember about 2010. (Author: Patti Digh)

My adventures. Laughing really hard (I know it was something DP said or did) and realizing it had been a long time since I’d laughed and smiled that much. Yoga for an Ocean Cure fundraisers. Surfing and time with friends/family at Carolina Beach. Road tripping to Indianapolis with DP. Talking dreams and real life with friends over tea. Discovering my back deck was a fantastic mini-yoga studio. Friendsgiving for the 6th year. Mondo Beyondo. Seeing my HS BFF for the first time in 15 years. House for sale. Wondering about what’s next.

December 16Friendship. How has a friend changed you or your perspective on the world this year? Was this change gradual, or a sudden burst? (Author: Martha Mihalick)

I’ve learned so many things from friends this year, but Sharon Tessandori of Barefoot Works Yoga changed my perspective on the importance of dreaming and the ability to make dreams come true. She’s the one who introduced me to Mondo Beyondo a few years ago, and when she made some of her Mondo Beyondo dreams happen this year, I was super-thrilled and completely inspired by her hard work and her courage. She’s also so incredibly supportive of others’ dreams and personal development, and she's just as willing to admit doubt and fear as she is to celebrate the joys in her life. She continues to remind me of the need to keep things real with myself and with others. 

December 17 Lesson Learned. What was the best thing you learned about yourself this past year? And how will you apply that lesson going forward? (Author: Tara Weaver)

More so a re-discovery than something new: I am a seeker, full of curiosity about the world when I allow myself to be unfettered by others’ expectations. I see many possibilities to carry the spirit of the seeker with me in 2011. I only need to remind myself that I’m still the same girl who, as she grew up, knew in every cell of her body that an exciting and different life was waiting to be created.

December 18Try. What do you want to try next year? Is there something you wanted to try in 2010? What happened when you did / didn’t go for it? (Author: Kaileen Elise)

I am going to try group voice lessons, beginning in February, at CCM’s preparatory department. This will be my second attempt at voice lessons; I first took lessons in high school while I was in a show choir. (Yes, really.) My ultimate goal is for DP and me to be an acoustic duo—I have always wanted to be in a band! In 2010, I really wanted to learn how to salsa dance, or to take some type of dance lesson. That’s certainly still on the books for 2011.

December 19 Healing. What healed you this year? Was it sudden, or a drip-by-drip evolution? How would you like to be healed in 2011? (Author: Leonie Allan)
In July, I started walking with my dog Rusty in the mornings before work, and that quiet but active time absolutely healed me and gave me energy at a time when I was seriously lacking. Healing in 2011? Best kept in my journal :)
December 20Beyond Avoidance. What should you have done this year but didn’t because you were too scared, worried, unsure, busy or otherwise deterred from doing? (Bonus: Will you do it?) (Author: Jake Nickell)

I fully intended to engage in some skill-building exercises around conflict management. I dread conflict and try to avoid it at all costs ... so how surprising that I avoided dealing with this specific task all year?! I know if I learn some tools for handling conflict, both intra- and inter-personally, my  life will improve. Because this will require some significant work, I don’t anticipate starting it before 2011, but I will add it to my 2011 to-do list. Friends, please hold me accountable to this!

December 21 Future Self. Imagine yourself five years from now. What advice would you give your current self for the year ahead? (Bonus: Write a note to yourself 10 years ago. What would you tell your younger self?) (Author: Jenny Blake)

This response is best left in my journal … thanks for understanding J

December 22TravelHow did you travel in 2010? How and/or where would you like to travel next year? (Author: Tara Hunt)

2010 was the year of short, domestic trips for pure pleasure—Colorado with family, Indianapolis for a Jack Johnson concert with DP, and surfing with family and friend in Carolina Beach. 2011 already has international travel on the calendar (Florence and Rome, Italy, with a University Honors Program seminar), and I’d love to add an international surf trip and a Mondo Beyondo list adventure.

December 23New Name. Let’s meet again, for the first time. If you could introduce yourself to strangers by another name for just one day, what would it be and why? (Author: Becca Wilcott)

I have a seriously strong (and healthy, I think) attachment to my name. When I had the opportunity to change it when I married, I graciously but confidently declined. One aunt suggested that I hyphenate my first and last name (since nearly everyone calls me Jen Lile anyways) and add my husband’s last name. Maybe I’d try that, but I really can’t imagine wanting any other name than my own.

December 24  – Everything’s OK. What was the best moment that could serve as proof that everything is going to be alright? And how will you incorporate that discovery into the year ahead? (Author: Kate Inglis)
One late summer evening, amid all kinds of neighborhood chaos and a desperate desire to move asap, I decided to say goodbye to the back deck. I’d stopped spending time there because I wanted to distance myself from my (now gone) neighbors, but that night I drowned out reality by listening to my favorite tunes on my iPod while I journaled and sipped wine by candlelight. The anger that I’d been feeling was replaced by an appreciation for this beautiful moment in this beautiful space. A month earlier, I never would have imagined feeling a sense of peace and appreciation as I sat on my deck, and I realized that those feelings had been waiting for me, covered by the anger, all along. One of my aspirational values—meaning, I value the concept but I don’t live by it right now—is to maintain “eye of the hurricane calm” in my life. I want to keep the memory of that night in mind as I head into 2011, a year that promises to be full of change and uncertainty.

December 25Photo – a present to yourself. Sift through all the photos of you from the past year. Choose one that best captures you; either who you are, or who you strive to be. Find the shot of you that is worth a thousand words. Share the image, who shot it, where, and what it best reveals about you.
(Author: Tracey Clark)

DP took this photo of me (right) and my surfing and yoga  pal Jaime after my first Yoga for an Ocean Cure workshop in the Norwood Community Center gymnasium. What it reveals: confidence, strength, and pure bliss about sharing yoga and Ocean Cure with others. Two more fundraising workshops followed. I fell 90% short of my very lofty goal … but I had no idea how fulfilling and amazing reaching 10% could be.
December 26Soul FoodWhat did you eat this year that you will never forget? What went into your mouth & touched your soul? (Author: Elise Marie Collins)

For someone who loves food so very much, I find myself at an embarrassing loss with this prompt. I’m searching my memory, trying to conjure up the one taste that rocked my world, and I’m completely drawing a blank. (In previous years, I’m positive it would have been a meal or dessert by my friend Mia.)

December 27 Ordinary JoyOur most profound joy is often experienced during ordinary moments. What was one of your most joyful ordinary moments this year? (Author: BrenĂ© Brown)

I like to be active, but I do love sitting on the couch with DP and watching a movie (or Glee, or Grey’s Anatomy, or Top Chef). Bonus when our dog Rusty climbs up to join us.
Final four reflections coming soon…


Comments

Popular Posts