Adventures 1 & 2/52: Joining the Year of 52 Adventures blog and Walking to the Library



Veggies
: Best meal of the week was last night's Healthy Macaroni and Cheese -- I'd forgotten how good it is.

Wine: Happily began the restocking process for my home wine bar, which was seriously depleted during the holidays, with the 4 delicious reds from Argentina and Australia that I loved at the snow-isn't-going-to-stop-us-from-drinking wine tasting at UC on Thursday.

I am absolutely smitten with and inspired by the idea of declaring 2010 the year of 52 adventures. I've never been a fan of resolutions, and I definitely want more adventure in my life. So, today, I officially accepted this assignment by joining the blog as an author (Adventure #1), and decided to get moving on Adventure #2.

I'm often dashing to the library with overdue books, trying to stuff them into the drop box minutes before opening time to avoid accruing even more fees. I actually like paying the small fines for books, but when I borrow movies I try to meet the due date-- $2/day adds up quickly. So, this morning I needed to return Rachel Getting Married (still not sure what I think of it) by 10 am. On a typical day, I'd hop in my car and drive down the street to the Madisonville Library. But I didn't feel like swiping the snow off my car. And I have never, ever walked to the library in my nearly 9 years of living 1.1 miles away from it. It seemed like an adventure waiting to happen.

With a backpack full of books and a movie, I pulled on my boots, put my dog Rusty on his leash, and headed out in the snow. On my way, I peered into the occasional glass storefronts, noticed the snow-covered Madisonville Community Garden plot tucked in between two buildings, and stopped nearly every 10 steps for Rusty to smell something new. (I'm less patient with his hound dog tendencies on our usual walks, but in honor of this adventure, I let him sniff away. I love watching him poke his nose into the snow, sometimes up to his eyes. He's so adorable!) I also entertained thoughts of future adventures that involved turning some of the boarded-up, abandoned buildings into yoga studios or restaurants.

I've said many times that I'd love to live in a neighborhood where I can walk to most places I need to go. The reality is that I can walk to a number of places from my house, but out of habit or concern about time, I usually climb into my car. I hope that this adventure is the start of many more intentional walks, which can help me feel more connected to my community and also add some interest to an ordinary errand like going to the library.

Looking forward to Adventure #3, whatever that may be...

Comments

  1. This is great, Jen! And what a fun picture of you and Rusty. :)

    Looking forward to reading #3... all the way to #52.

    I checked the link to the recipe - sounds interesting! Comfort food is always the best. Will add it to my list of cooking projects. I tried making another version of mac and cheese from a recipe in veganyumyum.com.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts